The Journeys module of the application opens the Map View and gives users the ability to interact with their Journeys and Trips in the List Panel.
At the top of the List Panel, the dot menu contains a number of quick actions and sorting options for Journeys.
The Add Journey quick action brings the user to the Add Journey page.
Each Journey has a header similar to those found on the Live and History Modes for Assets and Groups. Because Journeys are collections of Trips, they appear in the List Panel in the same way as Asset Groups, with their folder icon indicating the number of Trips included in that Journey.
Next to each Journey and Trip, below the name, there are five notification boxes. They will appear either lit with a color or greyed out if there are no new notifications of that type. Notifications in the Journeys List Panel represent any notifications the selected Assets made during the Trip’s or Trips’ date range(s).
Position Notifications - Green
Position Notifications tell portal users that the Asset(s) in the Journey has reported a new position as part of its standard reporting interval.
Alert Notifications - Orange
Alert Notifications occur when an Asset’s user manually sends an Alert from the device, or when the portal’s Alert triggers are met by the Asset’s normal activity reports.
Event Notifications - Purple
Event Notifications vary by device type and can include safety check-ins manually initiated by the Asset user to a number of sensor-related events.
Status Notifications - Yellow
Status Notifications will come from devices or sensors that work to monitor specific things such as fuel level, tire pressure, and other diagnostic information for a connected Asset.
Message Notifications - Blue
For devices that support messaging, any new incoming Messages from that Asset will trigger this notification.
The eyeball icon toggles the visibility of Journeys in the Map View.
Journey Actions - Multicog Button
Each Journey will have a Multicog Button that opens the Details Panel with that Journey’s available actions displayed in tab form.
Trips - Collapsed
Each Journey is comprised of any number of Trips, which represent the sets of data contained within the date ranges selected for each trip. Collapsed Trips show the name and date range of the Trip, along with its visibility.
Creating a Journey
Users will be prompted to provide the following information when creating a Journey:
- Name: the name to be assigned to the Journey, will be displayed in the Journeys interface
- Asset: choose the asset that will be providing the data for the Journey
- Description: optional, will not be displayed in the interface
- Color: select a color for the Journey to be displayed in the list panel
- Status: enabled/disabled toggles the Journey’s viewability in the list panel; Disabled Journeys will not appear in the Journeys UI or anywhere in the portal
As part of creating a Journey, users will be prompted to add Trips to them, and each Trip is a collection of position history for the Asset selected above. Each Trip may include any number of position reports greater than 0, and there is no limit on the number of Trips a user can include in a Journey. Users may opt to add multiple Trips that do not have sequential start or end points, and they will be displayed without a connecting line between them.
The Add Trip section of the form will prompt users for the following information:
- Name: the name to be assigned to the Trip, will be displayed in the Journeys interface
- Date Range of Data: Begin references the earlier of the two endpoints in the date range and End references the more recent of the two endpoints in the date range for the trip. Date Range can be as little as minutes, and as long as the user chooses.
- Display Options: users will choose whether to show the Trip as a single segment with only start and end points, or if they wish to display all of the individual points between the start and end points
- Status: enabled/disabled toggles the Trip’s viewability in the list panel; Disabled Trips will not appear in the Journeys UI or anywhere in the portal
After Trips have been added to a Journey, they will be listed in the bottom section of the Add Journey form. From here, users can manage these Trips, correct any errors, and can edit them by selecting the pencil icon on the left, or delete them by selecting the trash can icon on the right.
Journeys - Expanded
Journey Options: Journeys are a collection of Trips, which are segments of historical position data. As such, they serve as a pre-filtered data container with few interactive tools. Users can tab through the different notifications that occurred during the Journey and view those in the Details Panel. Additionally, users can edit any of the properties assigned to the Journey upon creation.
Trip Options: Trips are segments of historical position data. As such, they have very few interactive tools, as they do not involve live functionality. Users can tab through the different notifications that occurred during the Trip and view those in the Details Panel. Additionally, users can edit any of the properties assigned to the Trip upon creation.